Live NHL Betting
Hockey will always be the least popular of the four major sports when it comes to live betting online as compared to football, basketball, or baseball. NHL has the most dedicated fanbase out of any pro sport. Most NHL hockey bettors are interested in pre-game markets, such as sides, totals, and puck lines, but the fun doesn’t stop there. All these bets and more are available while hockey games unfold with NHL live betting. Live NHL odds are now available at every sportsbook online and for every game.
Live sports betting has become a mainstay in sports betting markets these days. Every betting online site offers users the ability to bet on live hockey games. Hockey in-game betting isn’t a unique market that one must search for anymore. As in-wager betting continues to expand, so will in-play NHL wagering. If you’re a hockey bettor and you haven’t tried betting on live hockey games yet – you’re missing out.
Best Live NHL Betting Sites 2019
How Live Sports Betting Works
Live sports betting is new regarding sports betting history but has been available in some form for nearly a decade. As mentioned above, there are no longer sportsbooks that don’t offer live betting. The only difference between pre-game NHL odds and live NHL odds is that live odds are updated in real-time. The rules for betting and grading wagers don’t change when in-game hockey games. The basics remain the same.
NHL hockey is one of the more efficient markets compared to professional football and basketball. It’s not widely bet by the masses, so the few that do bet big on it are often professional level bettors that can move the odds drastically. However, in-wager markets on hockey are far less sharp than pre-game betting markets. If you’re already betting hockey and not at least considering NHL live betting, then you’re missing out on profitable bets.
How to Live Bet On NHL Games
- Choose NHL Betting Site – All online sportsbooks have hockey betting odds, and NHL live betting, but that doesn’t mean you should deposit at the first sportsbook that you come across. Instead, look at reviews and payout speeds from the top options. We offer a ranking of the best hockey gambling sites. Remember, when you make a deposit, always maximize your bonus.
- Find NHL Live Betting Markets – In-wager betting markets will generally be a different place that pre-game wagers and have a different betting interface compared to pre-game wagers. Lots of sportsbooks have a “live betting” button on the side of the page near the rest of their betting menu. In-game betting is extremely popular if you’re looking to wager on live sports at your sportsbook – it won’t be hard to find.
- Add a Wager to Your Bet Slip – Once you get to the NHL live betting page, you can take a look at the active games and choose which team and market you want to bet.
- Place A Bet – I decided to place a money line bet on the Anaheim Ducks to come back and win against the Red Wings. At the time of the wager, the Ducks were +120 on the moneyline. As you can see on the bet slip below – I placed a $10 bet to win $12.
- Submit Your Bet – Once you have checked to see you have the correct market and betting amount – it’s time to submit your bet. In many cases, this is done in one-click, but some sites will still have two-clicks to finalize a bet (one to review bet and another to confirm). Once you submit your bet you will see a screen like the one below at SportsBetting.ag.
Best Live Betting Sites For NHL Hockey
- Accepts Cryptocurrencies
- Accepts credit card deposits
- Timely payouts guarantees
- NHL promotions and bonuses year-round
- Generous deposit bonus up to $1000
- Excellent software for desktop and mobile
Why Bet At Mybookie?
Welcome Bonus of 50% Up To $1,000 on the first deposit makes Mybookie one of the top betting sites online. They have a long history in the industry but have truly come on in the last couple of years to become a leader in sports betting. Timely payouts are something worth mentioning.
- Accepts Litecoin and Bitcoin
- Credit card deposits accepted
- Excellent and timely payouts
- Competitive odds for NFL
- NHL specific bonuses offered each season
- Large assortment of sports betting markets
Why Is SportsBetting The Best?
The 50% Up To $1,000 Welcome Bonus is hard to pass by and the payout times are fast. Sportsbetting is the top betting site in the industry and easily the most professional. They offer competitive odds in all sports and tons of betting markets, from propositions to live betting.
Live NHL Betting Strategy
There are some specific strategies that bettors can place when wagering on in-play NHL wagering that don’t necessarily apply to pre-game betting. To fully take advantage of live betting you need some plan or at least know what to look for when trying to make profitable bets. The odds are always changing, and spotting value must be done quickly in many cases.
Strategy #1 – Embracing Hockey’s Variance
Hockey can be a game of bounces and ricochets and goals can seemingly come out of nowhere, and quickly. Of course, the live odds will change when a goal is scored. Depending on how the game is playing out there may be some opportunities to bet on the team that just gave up a goal. One thing to watch for in hockey is sustained pressure and puck control. If one team consistently had the puck in the other team’s zone and is putting up shots, but they’re not going in – they’re probably still in the game, even they’re down 2-3 goals.
The odds in this situation are usually +400 or so, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen teams rally from several goals down to end up winning the game. It’s extremely rare you want to bet the favorite in these situations. If you’re knowledgeable enough about hockey and can spot a team that is simply not seeing the puck bounce its way – there is a lot of value in taking underdogs when live betting hockey.
Strategy #2 – Taking advantage Of Arbitrage
Arbing can be an essential part of sports betting. Arbing in hockey allows bettors to lock in a profit due to a difference in pricing between two betting markets. This can be a bit riskier when live betting compared to pre-game wagers as some live bets can be canceled or not accepted if you fail to get them in fast enough. In many cases, you will notice large variations in the odds when in-game betting hockey. These are opportunities for arbs.
Strategy #3 – Hedging Your Bet
Hedging is similar to arbitrage in that your goal is to lock in a profit. We don’t always advocate bet hedging because often bettors sacrifice +EV in the sake of short-term profits, but there is indeed a time and place for it. The above example, if you have an underdog that rushes out to an early lead that you’re not sure is justified, you can hedge the bet to lock in a profit.
NHL Live Bets Types
The most common wagers for hockey betting are moneylines and pucklines. Those, along with totals, will be the bare minimum a sportsbook has for live betting NHL games. Some sites offer far more options than others, and many will have a long list of propositions in addition to these traditional bets. To learn more how each hockey bet works visit our NHL Online Betting Guide.
NHL Moneylines & Pucklines
The moneyline is the standard bet for wagering on hockey and is the most commonly placed wager when betting hockey. Moneyline betting merely means picking the outright winner of the game. There is no spread. The puck line is a sort of modified point spread for hockey betting. It is usually -1.5 or +1.5 but can be -2.5 / +2.5.
Hockey total bet is the number of goals scored by both teams in the game. With the increased scoring and rule changes over the past few years, this is usually around 5.5 or 6 goals per game. Like the rest of the markets, totals are updated as the game happens live.
NHL Proposition Bets
NHL prop bets are any bet that is not related to the final outcome or score of the game. This includes how many shots may be taken on goal, the amount goals in a period, and lots more. It’s up to the oddsmakers at each sportsbook on how many propositions they want to offer on their NHL live odds.
Live Betting on the 2019 Stanley Cup
The Stanley Cup Finals is one of the most exciting sporting events of the year. Even if you’re not a fan of hockey in the regular season – I’ve yet to meet someone whose adrenaline doesn’t pump when watching playoff hockey. In-wager betting during the cup is ramped up quite a bit and in many cases, bettors will find higher wagering limits and more betting market when it comes to NHL live betting in the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals.