Soccer Online Betting Guide
Soccer or football as it is called in Europe is easily the most popular sport worldwide. Not so shockingly, it’s also by far the most wagered upon sport, by a large margin. Europe is the home of most of the elite leagues, but nearly every country in the world has their own domestic soccer league you can place online bets.
The game has spread into both North American television and betting markets. Not only is the MLS rising in popularity, but the Champions League is now a fixture on ESPN and NBC broadcasts English Premier League games every Saturday during the season. You can find more than 100 pre-match betting markets and even more opportunities regarding live or in-play soccer betting online. In this article, we’ll go over the top betting options for soccer betting.
Bet $25 On Your Team To Win $1000+ At These Sportsbooks...
How To Bet On Soccer Matches Online
If you’re new to sports betting, we have a step-by-step guide that describes the sign-up process for betting online and how to place a bet. Betting on soccer matches isn’t much different than wagering on other sports, but knowledge of soccer betting markets is essential.
- Sign Up for An Online Sportsbook – Every sportsbook online will have bets available for soccer matches in the major leagues around the world. For example, betting on the Champions League will be a prominent event no matter where you are betting online. We have reviewed most of the sportsbooks online and you can find our top choices in the review section.
- Understand Soccer Betting Markets – Even if you’ve placed bets on American sports, such as football and basketball before, it’s worth reading about soccer betting, because there are some fundamental differences from American sports and soccer matches to keep in mind when placing your bets.
- Fund Your Account – Depending on your location; you may have different cashier options. We recommend cryptocurrencies if you’re living in the United States and an e-wallet, such as Neteller or Skrill, if you’re betting internationally.
- Place Your Bets – After giving yourself an understanding of soccer betting markets, choose your wagers for the particular soccer match you like. Look at the wagers on your bet slip before you hit confirm bet. Once a bet is confirmed it cannot be undone, so be sure your bet and amounts are correct.
- Sit Back and Enjoy the Match – Yes, after you place your bets, enjoy the beautiful game!
Best Online Soccer Betting Sites For American Bettors
- Accepts Litecoin and Bitcoin
- Accepts all major credit cards
- Competitive odds and excellent sportsbook for betting on 2018 World Cup
- European football / soccer specific bonuses offered at the start of the season
- Large assortment of sports betting markets, including live betting, team and player props
Why Is Sportsbook.ag The Best?
The 50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus is hard to pass by and the payout times are fast. Sportsbetting is the top betting site in the industry and easily the most professional. They offer competitive odds in all sports and tons of soccer markets, from propositions to live betting.
- Accepts Litecoin and Bitcoin
- Accepts all major credit cards
- Posts 2018 Russian World Cup odds earlier than other sportsbooks
- Takes up large bet on point spreads plus other popular sports bets
- Large deposit bonus, up to $2,500, and endless reloads
Why Bet At BetOnline?
New players receiving a massive Welcome Bonus of 50% up to $1000 on their first deposit which makes BetOnline’s rise to one of the top sportsbooks online. They have a long history in the industry but have truly come on in the past few years to be a leader in sportsbetting.
Best Online Soccer Sportsbook For International Bettors
- Excellent and timely payouts
- More odds and betting markets access
- Competitive odds on soccer/ European football, and other markets.
- Lots of year-round sports promotions and a VIP Program.
- One of the most trusted sites for international bettors.
Why Is Betway The Best?
New players get a 100% Sign-Up Welcome Bonus up to $100. Betway is one of the offshore betting sportsbooks online. Their focus is more on European and British sports, but they have a large assortment of markets for both 2018 World Cup, formula one, and other sports.
Soccer Betting Strategy Articles
1X2 Soccer Betting Online – Explained
Have you wondered how to read soccer odds 1×2? The 1X2 soccer bet is the most popular form of wagering on soccer. It’s also known as match betting or full-time betting. The 1X2 may seem complicated at first, but it’s easy to understand. Each portion stands for a different part of the bet. The 1 is always the away team, the X is the odds for a draw and the 2 stands for a home team victory.
How To Read Soccer Odds 1×2
Using the above example, which is displayed in soccer moneyline odds, we can that Albania is a +400 underdog, the odds for a draw are +240, and that Switzerland is the favorite at -133. The 1X2 soccer bet has lost some popularity in recent years to Asian Handicap odds, which offer just two possible outcomes instead of three and typically less vig. Few other sports use 1X2 wagering, most notably are Rugby and European hockey.
Soccer Totals Betting (Over/Under)
Soccer Totals betting is simple for just about anyone who has ever bet sports before. These are also called goal line bets. The main difference that American bettors will have to remember when betting soccer is that any extra time played does not count towards the goal total.
The goal over/under is only for the 90-minute match. Any goals scored in an extra time period do not count towards the total. The oddsmakers pay according to the results after 90 minutes. The average number of goals scored in a soccer match is about 2.5 goals, which is the most common total for top-flight matches across the world.
Double Chance Betting In Soccer – Explained
Double chance betting is common in soccer and sports that have a possible three outcomes. The double chance combines two of the three outcomes into each bet and offers odds on if either of these two outcomes occurs.
For reference, here is our above 1X2 betting example which are the odds that the bookmaker used to derive the double chance odds
Understanding Soccer Odds
For instance, if we truly believe that Albania has almost no shot at winning this game, we can place our wager on Draw or Switzerland at -700. Although, depending on the odds for 1X2, we may be better off placing wagers in that market compared to the double chance odds. On the whole, the double chance market allows the bettor to bet on the home team and the draw, the away team, and the draw, or the draw not occurring.
Asian Handicap Soccer Betting Online
Above the same Asian Handicap odds for Albania versus Switzerland match that we have been using for our examples. Asian Handicap odds have taken a lot of the action away from 1X2 odds. Bettors have been drawn to these markets due to the low vig and the ease of picking from just two betting opportunities.
If you’re interested in betting a lot of soccer, Asian Handicaps are a market to target. We dig much deeper into this betting market at Safest Betting Sites.
Proposition Soccer Bets
Proposition wagers are bets that are mostly modeled with recreational players in mind, but still, provide value for savvy bettors. Props bets have a wide range of time. Some are over a full season while others are for a single match. Many betting sites provide dozens of prop markets for each match. As mentioned in the beginning of the article, it’s not uncommon to see more than 100 betting markets for some high-profile matches. Most of these bets are props.
Soccer Props Bets Explained
Props can be as simple as, “Which team will score the first goal of the match?” or “How many corner kicks will there be in the match?” They can also center on a particular player’s goals in a match “Will Lionel Messi score a goal in the match?” or over a season “Will Lionel Messi score more than 25.5 Goals in La Liga this season?” Props can be related to just about anything regarding the game or tied to players from the game. It’s up to the imagination of the oddsmakers. They are typically softer than match betting and Asian handicap odds but do have higher vigorish.
Soccer Live Betting Online
These days the markets for live betting seemingly keep expanding. At many top bookmakers, any match that is available for pre-match wagering is also available for live or in-play betting. At the very least, most bookies have live 1X2 markets and totals betting, but most have a lot more options.
It’s not uncommon to see 50 or more betting markets available when betting a single match. There are a lot of options for the smart bettor when betting live. They can look for arbitrage opportunities and other +EV markets.
Futures Betting In Soccer Matches
In many European betting markets, futures are known as post ante or outright bets. These are available at just about every bookmaker online for the top leagues and international contests.
The above graphic is SportsBetting Sportsbook odds on the UEFA Europa League 2017-18 tournament. Betting futures is a straightforward process. There is no point spread. A bet is only graded as a winner if your selection wins the event. There are a lot of opportunities for future betting if you’re a soccer bettor. The World Cup and Euro Cup garner the most future betting tickets, but those take place every four years. The Champion’s League, along with other top-flight leagues, such as the English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, and German Bundesliga have futures for each season, and that’s just scratching the surface.
Soccer Bets – Match Predictions
Now you should feel comfortable with the mechanics of each soccer bet as we have explained above how to read the odds as well as the various soccer lines. If you would like to see what our experts say about various soccer bet predictions you should check out our Free Picks page for soccer predictions.